Best Backpacking Hatchet
A backpacking hatchet is an essential item for backpackers who frequently venture out into the wild for your adventures. These hatchets are put into good use while woodcutting, chopping, and camping. Choosing the best hatchets for backpacking is a daunting task for beginners who have not purchased an axe before.
There are differences in the function and value of a one-handed versus two-handed hatchet. A multi-use axe is ideal while camping in the wilderness, for felling trees, or even self-defense. If backpacking is on top of your list, then you should get a specially designed hatchet.
The best lightweight hatchet for backpacking can chop wood, fight off wild animals, build a shelter, and help in other outdoor tasks as well. There are various backpacking hatches in the market that make it difficult for you to know which one is ideal for you. However, you do not need to worry as we have done proper research so that it is easier for you to pick one!
Therefore, we’ve compiled the top 10 best backpacking hatchets along with their reviews. Read on to know more about the best hatchets for backpacking and other related information in detail.
Top 10 Best Backpacking Hatchets – Expert’s Review For 2020
|S.N||Name of the product||Product Image||Weight (in pounds)||Check Price|
|1||Liheya Backpacking Tactical Hatchet||2.27|
|2||LIANTRAL Tactical Hatchet for Backpacking||2.09|
|3||CASAVIDA Survival Hatchet Camping Axe||2.04|
|4||WilFiks Camping Outdoor Hatchet||2.59|
|5||iunio Camping Axe Hatchet||2.09|
|6||Kernowo Multitool Camping Hatchet||1.09|
|7||Schrade Mini Axe for Camping||1.5|
|8||Camping Mouse Tomahawk Hatchet||1.2|
|9||SOG Tactical Tomahawks Throwing Hatchet||1.5|
|10||Yeacool Camping Hatchet||2.05|
Liheya Backpacking Tactical Hatchet is an outstanding backpacking hatchet. There is a saw-toothed knife, emergency whistle, magnesium rod flint, compass, glass breaker, and a flashlight in this package. The 3 modes of flashlight include weak light, strong light, and strobe for different situations.
Moreover, the high-quality head of this hatchet gets made from stainless steel. Thick aluminum alloy gets used in making the handle and extension bars. It is sturdy, durable, and ideal for various conditions. The adjustable handle of this camping axe includes 3 extension bars. You can use them to adjust length with a maximum length of 22 inches.
Furthermore, the folding feature of this axe is very convenient in different conditions. This camp axe is compact, portable, and is easy to use. You can hang it on a backpack and is ideal for backpacking, hiking, hunting, outdoor camping, and others. It has a lifetime warranty as well which makes it quite favorable for your backpacking adventures.
- 3 modes of flashlight for different situations.
- Comes with a saw-toothed knife, emergency whistle, compass, and glass breaker.
- It is sturdy, durable, and compact
- Made from stainless steel and thick aluminum alloy.
- Can adjust the length of the handle with a maximum length of 22 inches.
- Compact, portable and is easy to use.
- Ideal for backpacking, camping, hiking, hunting, and others.
- It has a lifetime warranty.
- Some users complained about faulty design.
LIANTRAL Tactical Hatchet for Backpacking is another best backpacking hatchet that is strong and sturdy. The axe’s head has stainless steel construction and the handle and the extension rod is of thick aluminum alloy of high quality. The handle is skidproof and is quite durable.
This versatile and multi-purpose hatchet comes with an axe and sickle two-in-one feature. It also has a survival knife, window breaker, magnesium bar flint, whistle, and compass. Besides that, these camping survival feature-packed axes come assembled integrated.
Moreover, the handle of the axe is adjustable and its length can be changed through the extension bars according to your requirements. It also comes in a sheath and is compact and portable. It is ideal for camping, hiking, and hunting. This axe also comes with a 100% lifetime warranty which is quite an advantage.
- Strong and sturdy.
- Stainless steel and thick aluminum alloy construction.
- Skid Proof and durable handle.
- Versatile and multi-purpose hatchet.
- Camping survival features come assembled integrated.
- The handle of the axe is adjustable.
- Comes in a sheath, and is compact and portable
- Has a 100% lifetime warranty.
- Some users complained about axe breaking down.
CASAVIDA Survival Hatchet Camping Axe is a multifunctional axe. It is ideal for splitting small logs, wilderness navigation, building shelters, engraving, starting fires, breaking glass, and others. The camping axe kit includes a knife, safety hammer, compass, hammer, flint, extension bars, whistle, sheath, and others.
You can use them in emergency survival situations or outdoor backpacking adventures. This hatchet comes with a sheath along with a convenient carrying handle. The handle has an ergonomic shape and texture so that it can fit in your hand comfortably. It has a great balance and dimensions of 17” x 6.5” x 1.2”.
Moreover, the razor-sharp stainless steel tactical axe blade has an ultra-sharp cutting edge for chopping, kindling, and splitting wood. The handle and extension bars of the thick aluminum alloy make it easier to handle and comfortable. This hatchet is lightweight at just 2.04 lbs and ideal for all ages while delivering quite a punch.
- Multifunctional axes with an all-inclusive package
- Comes with sheath along with a convenient carrying handle.
- The handle has an ergonomic shape and texture.
- Razor-sharp stainless steel tactical axe blade
- An ultra-sharp cutting edge for chopping, kindling, and splitting wood.
- Easier to handle and comfortable.
- Has a great balance and is ideal for all ages.
- Some users complained that it broke in first time
WilFiks Camping Outdoor Hatchet is an easy to use backpacking hatchet that is ideal for wood Chopping, logs, kindling, and branches. The Optimized blade geometry of this hatchet provides maximum efficiency. It is ideal for campers to prepare wood for bonfires and other works.
The forged carbon steel heat-treated blade has a durable construction density that produces sharp, smooth, and quick splits. It also stays sharp longer than traditional axes and gives you a long-lasting performance. The ergonomic design of this hatchet gives it a shock-absorbing anti-slip grip. It also has a cold-resistant ergonomic shaped fiberglass handle.
Moreover, this reduces the strain and resists slipping while adding comfort. You can resharpen the chopping blade that comes with a polished finished edge. The weighted wedge design allows you to chop logs and firewood. The head and shaft have a good balance and are safe, efficient, and comfortable. There is a rubber protective sheath for safe storage and transport.
- Has an optimized blade geometry.
- Forged carbon steel heat treated blade
- Produces sharp, smooth, and quick splits.
- Gives you a long-lasting performance.
- Ergonomic design with shock-absorbing anti-slip grip.
- Reduces the strain, and resists slipping.
- You can resharpen the chopping blade
- Safe, efficient, and comfortable.
- Rubber Protective Sheath present for safe storage and transport.
- Some users complained about quality control.
iunio Camping Axe Hatchet is a survival multi-Tool. This multiple-use axe is ideal for splitting small logs, preparing to kindle, breaking glass/windows, starting fires, engraving, wilderness navigation, building shelter, and others. It is also a great gift for Backpackers, Campers, Hikers, Hunters, fishermen, and others who need practical tools.
The multiple uses hatchet has tubular engineering and you can assemble or disassemble it smoothly. It can get fully assembled for regular use and shortened for more compact use. This axe has tube sections where you can keep your first aid kits, fishing gear, and other survival gear.
Moreover, this camping axe comes with a protective sheath/camo wrap that protects the blade. Camo wrap also provides the user both cushioning and a better grip. iunio also has claimed that this camping hatchet lasts for life. They have also guaranteed that all replacement requests get supported by the customer service team which makes it quite favorable.
- A survival multiple-use axe
- Tubular engineering and you can assemble or disassemble it smoothly.
- Adjustable for regular use and more compact use.
- Tube sections for first aid kits, fishing gear, and other survival gear.
- Comes with a protective sheath/camo wrap that protects the blade.
- Camo wrap provides cushioning and a better grip.
- Replacement guarantee and great customer service.
- Some users complained about the durability of the product.
Kernowo Multitool Camping Hatchet is a multitool compact toolkit that contains 16 different tools. These include an axe, hammer, flat jaw plier, knife, bottle opener, pipe grip pliers, wood saw, etc. it also comes with a pliers handle, wire cutter, return spring, and a slotted screwdriver with a safety lock.
The hatchet has a covered rubber cap that helps to protect your hand when not in use. The heavy-duty stainless steel makes it sturdy as it has durable black oxidation which makes it rustproof. There is a handle with an ergonomic design to provide you with comfort and protect your hand. Portable and convenient axes will provide you all features for backpacking adventures.
Moreover, it is 6.9” inch long and 3.5 inches wide and is lightweight at just 14oz. It comes with a solid nylon pouch that fully covers the blade, holding all items for safe and easy use. The company also guarantees the best after-sales service and has a 90 days money-back guarantee. It is a perfect backpacking gear for hunting, hiking, fishing, and other camping gear.
- Has a covered rubber cap that helps to protect your hand.
- The heavy-duty stainless steel makes it sturdy
- Has durable black oxidation which makes it rustproof.
- Ergonomic design handles provide you comfort and protection.
- It comes with a solid nylon pouch that fully covers the blade
- Portable and convenient for backpacking adventures.
- Has a 90days money-back guarantee.
- Some users complained about it being flimsy.
Schrade Mini Axe for Camping is the best hatchets for backpacking that has a dimension of 12 inches (30.48 cm) in overall length. It has a blade length of 6.9 inches (17.53 cm) and is lightweight of 1.5 lbs.
It has a blade of reliable Ti-Nitride Coated Stainless Steel that comes with a twice-injected, rubber handle. There are 2 convenient locking positions for quick and easy access. The blade of this hatchet is secure and will not slip as there is an ergonomic black rubber grip.
There is a hammer pommel along with a blade cover for safe transportation purposes. Moreover, it is ideal for hunting, hiking, fishing, and other backpacking activities. Besides that, there is great customer service that provides an incredible advantage for its users.
- Lightweight at just 1.5 lbs.
- Reliable Ti-Nitride Coated Stainless Steel blade
- A twice-injected, rubber handle.
- 2 convenient locking positions for quick and easy access.
- Secure and will not slip as there is an ergonomic black rubber grip.
- A hammer pommel along with a blade cover for safe transportation purposes.
- Great customer service.
- Some users complained about the axe not working properly.
Camping Mouse Tomahawk Hatchet is the best backpacking hatchet with outstanding features. It is primarily designed for backpackers going hiking, camping, and other activities. The 19-inch handle is adjustable and can get shortened or extended based on your requirements.
It doesn’t take much space and is just 1.2 lbs when fully assembled. High carbon hand-forged steel is also heat-treated for maximum performance. Premium A-Grade American Hickory handle gets sanded smooth and wax-coated which leads to great durability.
Moreover, this handle has been designed for both recreational and competition tomahawk. There is a hammer on the back for camping and a heat-treated blade so that sharpness stays longer. You can modify this hawk by cutting down the handle. Cutting it down to around 12-14 inches is ideal and also makes it lighter.
Furthermore, this backpacker hatchet is ideal for all ages. It has a blade edge of 2.75 inches and a head weight of 0.6 lbs. Overall, the Camping Mouse Tomahawk Hatchet is one of the best backpacking hatchets available in the market with extensive features.
- Primarily designed for backpackers
- Handles can be cut down based on your requirements.
- It doesn’t take much space and is lightweight
- High carbon hand-forged steel is also heat treated.
- Premium A-Grade American Hickory handle
- Sanded smooth and wax coated.
- Designed for both recreational and competition tomahawk.
- A hammer on the back for camping.
- Price slightly on the higher side.
The SOG Tactical Tomahawks Throwing Hatchet is a tactical axe with incredible functionality. It has a length of 15.75 inches and is built to swing. This tomahawk has a razor-sharp 420 stainless steel hatchet blade which makes it a favorable option for backpackers. These best lightweight backpacking hatchets are heavy-duty.
It is also ideal as a superb survival ax and fire rescue tool. There is a sleek black blade finish that provides added durability in these axes. This modern design of this axe comes with its ballistic nylon sheath with its secure feel. It also includes a belt loop for 1.5-inch belts. FastHawk tactical survival axe also includes a spike for piercing and a flat edge for hammering.
Moreover, it is versatile and can handle all small wooden chops along with other emergency uses. It also has a repairs and replacements facility. Overall, SOG Tactical Tomahawks Throwing Hatchet is an incredible backpacking hatchet that provides you with everything you need for your adventure in the wild.
- Has a razor-sharp 420 stainless steel hatchet blade
- Lightweight yet heavy-duty.
- A superb survival axe and fire rescue tool.
- A sleek black blade finish that provides added durability.
- Comes with its ballistic nylon sheath with its secure feel.
- It also includes a belt loop for 1.5-inch belts.
- Includes a spike for piercing and a flat edge for hammering.
- Some users complained about product quality
Yeacool Camping Hatchet is a multipurpose and versatile hatchet that comes with a sharpener. It is ideal for cutting, chopping, chipping, splitting, trimming, making fire, scaling, and others. It also comes with a whistle, hammer, and a compass and is ideal for hunters, hikers, and backpackers.
There is a modular design in this camping hatchet that allows the hatchet to switch from a light, short handle to a long handle. It can get broken down to fit into a small pouch. There are storage rooms where you can keep matches, tinder, money, paracord, and others.
Moreover, this lightweight camping axe comes with a protective sheath that is easy to buckle on your rucksack or keep in your safe position. Professional camo wrap-on handles to protect your hands. A handy tool for campers or hikers for trips, camping, hiking, hunting, fishing, and others. Yeacool customer service also offers the best solution and you can contact them for damage and repair.
- A multipurpose and versatile hatchet that comes with a sharpener.
- Comes with a Whistle, Hammer, and a Compass.
- There is a modular design with adjustable features.
- There are storage rooms where you can keep matches, tinder, money, paracord, and others.
- Comes with a protective sheath.
- Professional camo wrap on handles protects your hands.
- Customer service also offers the best solution.
- Some users complained about defective pieces
Similar articles you may like:
- Best 2 Person Backpacking Tents Under $100
- Best Bushcraft Knife Under 100$
- Best Hiking Waist Pack With Water Bottle Holder
Factors To Consider Before Buying The Best Backpacking Hatchet?
The weight of the hatchet’s head needs to get balanced with the handle. This has a big effect on the functionality of the hatchet. A well-balanced hatchet is essential as they provide great speed through the air and the downward stroke has a maximum force. A curved shaft will help you to position your hands just beneath the cutting edge and provides the maximum effect.
The size of the hatchet or its length is quite important as well. A longer shaft generates more speed when you swing the ax head. This allows you to chop with less exertion. However, a longer axe means that hatches get heavier as well.
Shorter hatches are ideal for chopping small pieces of wood as they are single-handed. You should carry around 12 to 14 inches chopping 4-inch or thicker logs.
Blades of these best backpacking hatchets are generally made of high-quality steel. However, you should make sure that steel is stronger and blunt quicker than others. You should also make sure that it should chip more readily than others.
Stainless steel is a good option as it is corrosion resistant and provides great overall functionality. Therefore it is ideal for backpacking in wet, muddy conditions. However, specialized, heat-treated steels stay sharper for longer and get fewer chips and wear.
Weight is another significant factor you need to consider when you buy a lightweight and easy to carry. The lighter the head, the more effort you need to put to deliver enough chopping power.
Reduced handle length also reduces axe head speed and power which is a disadvantage. A good hatchet under 1.5 lbs and in the 9” to 12” range is ideal for you.
The sharper edge of the hatchet makes it easier to cut through wood. The blade also needs to be of good quality steel so that it remains sharp. The blade needs to go gradually wider but not too wide. If it gets too wide in cutting edge it might get stuck in the woods.
The best backpacking hatchets are ideal for multi-use other than just chopping wood. Features like a hammering surface, or a spiked end, or even a fire starter offers versatility and makes your hatchet multi-functional.
A sharp hatchet is ideal for carving too. Finger cutouts below the head can help you use it as a big knife. Chopping in the bush, hammering in tent pegs, building emergency shelters, or even defending yourself against animals are some of the features of hatchets.
Moreover, the best wood splitting hatchet also has a fire striking rod in the handle or a weighted head. Some hatchets also have hidden serrated blades to saw through wood. These additional features on a quality hatchet increase its value.
A hatchet should be functional but the design part is also quite important. A brightly colored handle helps you find your hatchet if you lose it. Cross-hatching on the butt and a polished shiny blade are some of the finest features of a good hatchet design.
Best backpacking hatchets must have a good value of money. High-quality steel with durability, sharpness, and rust resistance are some of the essential features of these hatches. Single cast full tang design or solid straight grain wood handle cost a little more. A top-end hatchet provides you lifetime use.
All backpacking hatchets listed above are of exceptional quality and provide incredible functionality. You can choose any one of them listed above based on your desire and requirements. It is quite tough to choose the best among them. However, if I had to choose one, I would choose the Liheya Backpacking Tactical Hatchet.
This incredible hatchet is primarily designed for backpackers going in their hiking, and camping, adventures. The handle can get cut down based on your requirements. This backpacker hatchet is durable enough to last you long. Overall, the Liheya Backpacking Tactical Hatchet is one of the best backpacking hatchets available in the market.